Monday, April 11, 2011

Reflection on oral presentation

Well, today I finished the oral presentation with team Energy. I felt really really relieved. At last, after 2 months, we - team Energy have already submitted proposal and presented our project for the whole dear class.

Firstly, I want to say the word thank you to all of my team for great effort put during two months. I would like to say thank you to Ms Lim and all of you - my classmates - for very very precious comments and support for us :X. Without you, we cannot do all of those things in a correct and good manner.

Now, let's go through the milestone in our process.

 1/ First meeting - 12 Feb, 2011:
Only me and Terence came for meeting in Science canteen. A bit disappointed, though, I thought that maybe that was Sunday, Desmond lived quite far from campus and Aoyun was busy with hall activities. We pointed out several problems that were able to be our project's topic. A minute was done quite roughly and the work was divided. The meeting lasted for only half an hour.

2/ Progress of doing proposal:
Actually, we have changed the topic from building a solar power plant to PV-LED module for street lamp and traffic lights after being persuaded by Desmond. There was about one meeting per week, hundreds of emails, sms, wiki updates. We did a lot of researches about solar energy generally as that was all we could do. Desmond was assigned for the technical part.

I don't know how many times I have to say "thank you" to my teammates. Terence is extremely proactive in all of the group's activities. He did research, survey and compiled the survey questionnaire. Then he spread for us and asked us to spread on facebook for our friends to do. After that, he collected the results and did the result analysis. The design and some parts of the proposal were done by him. You are really a good team-player, Terence.

About Aoyun, she did the questionnaire for interview, tried to look for the professor for interview and conducted it. The questionnaire has been changed for several times but she was patient to change it from nearly a page to only a few lines of concise content. Also, as a coordinator, she emailed and sms everyone for a meeting. You did really a good job - Aoyn.

Desmond, I was grateful for your support about technical part - PV - LED module for the proposal. Without it, we couldn't have an impressive and persuasive model to present with our class.

Haha, about me, what have I been doing? I was lucky to get the trust of everyone and was assigned as team leader. I did researches about solar energy, divided the work, did the proposal, updated through wiki and NUS email. Also, I played the role of Aoyun sometimes, as well, it is to arrange the time and venue for our meeting.

However, there was one thing I felt very bad whenever I remembered. It was Monday two or three weeks ago, when Aoyun let me know that Terence stayed up till 4am to finish the proposal as he was the person to combine and compile all the detailed parts in the proposal that we sent. That morning, I felt really guilty.

3/ Power point slide and presentation preparation process:
The power point slides were divided to each of us. Terence sent us the template first and each of us had to make the slides ourselves. We did change a lot. If taking a look at the original one and comparing to the current version, wow, I don't think that I can recognize it. It has been changed from the design to the content of each slide and the order. In the last day, Terence made a big surprise to us with a video. He introduced it as an awesome video. However, when we watched, we didn't understand what was going on till the last several lines. What was funniest is the Team Energy Present and title of the presentation.

I also remembered it was extremely funny when we did the rehearsal. As you can expected, we were all laughing and didn't remember the content, said the wrong things and got stunned, especially when I didn't know how to use the USB mouse of Terence to control the slides and I put it on the thigh in a lame posture =))

We also tried to find some features common for our team. At last, we agreed that all of us wear white T-shirt and black pants, Aoyun would wear black skirt. When I introduced, everyone would stand up and look at the audience. In addition, the question would be answered in order, me, Aoyun, Terence and Desmond. As everyone knew each other part, that was not a hard job to do. However, as each of us focused on one realm, if the other couldn't answer completely, that person would help. The overall purpose was everyone can take part in the Q&A session.  

4/ Oral presentation:
I went to bus stop quite early but no bus A1, therefore I had to go to Science through KEVII Hall in a formal dress which made me inconvenient. Some troubles happened as the mouse was out of function. Anyway, we tried to do the best for our presentation. It was really different from the peer teaching. I was a bit worried and introduced my teammates in wrong order. This time, I tried to say slowly and emphasized on each point because that was what I got from your response when I did peer teaching lesson. Overall, I felt good. However, my teammates told me that I've made several grammatical mistake. Quite sad but I will try to overcome it.

Terence and Aoyun did a good job. Every point was conveyed smoothly. However, there were some of the points that they forgot what those were, maybe they were too nervous.

Desmond did a good presentation except the last one. There seemed a portion that he forgot so the flow was not that smooth.

Anyway, today's present has been overcome. There is only one session for this ES module left. To be honest, I feel that this semester going too fast, I couldn't believe that this comes the end of the semester.

Hehe, I will have a separate post for our class. One last word I want to say is, I love everyone in our class, I really love my team, my lecturer and my classmate

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kelvin! Thank you for volunteering to be the leader! Haha! I strongly believe that a team cannot function without a leader. Wow, I am amazed at all the stuff we had gone through together as well. It's amazing how we managed to complete all the task. I would like to thank you for your appraisal and I am deeply humbled. Thank you for being such an awesome team leader and friend! Team Energy rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelvin,

    Indeed, in a blink of an eye, it is now the last week for this semester!

    I felt that you improved quite a bit from the Peer Teaching! Keep it up! There was also clear display of confidence. Haha were you even nervous at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Kelvin
    Thank you for sharing with me the fun stories during the rehearsals. It's true that through this course, we not only improve our communication skills but also make good friends with each other!
    Despite fun, sometimes conflicts do occur in my group. For example, during the oral presentation preparation, everyone in my group wants to grab the most attracting part and has little interest part on the less fun part. We even have a tiny cold war over each other.
    But thankfully we resolve the problem. As I always believe, sacrificing and compromising is necessary to the success of the whole team. And it is just through the conflicts, we strengthen our trust on each other and form the kind of team spirit.
    what I shared Above is just a little bit what I learned from the teamwork through this course. I believe everyone of us really benefit much from the class and our best tutor Ms Lim

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Terence: yeah, Team Energy rocks ^_^

    @Shawn: yes, I was actually nervous. But what don't kill us make us stronger, is it true? :D, I will try and improve on it more

    @Chenchen: yeah, it's a really good experience for us this semester.

    ReplyDelete