Sunday, April 17, 2011

Reflection on learning

Well, the semester is coming to an end. To be honest, I feel this semester going very fast. I still remembered the first day in ES2007S class. Everyone didn't know each other and Ms Lim guided us to play an ice-breaking game which was the survivors on the island. I and Fahmi were assigned to be the belly dancer and we really did crazy funny things ^_^.

Going through the semester, I've adopted a lot of skills which will be essential for me in the future such as: writing cover letter, resume, preparing for an interview, writing a proposal, etc... However, the most important skill I learned from this class is the way how to communicate with the others. It's really a need for us to survive. You can be very smart, a genius but unless you can communicate with the others, you are nothing. Having said so, though, I haven't practiced it very well. As Aoyun mentioned during our last class, professional communication is not such a thing you can get only after a semester, it's a process and we must practice frequently to get it.

Our class is the first class with such a small size which I've ever taken. In the big lecture, I've never known all my mates' names but as Elaine said, at least now, I could know all of your names :"). I really feel the sense of family and belonging in our class. I did peer teaching together with Weelee and Chen Yan, proposal with Terence, Aoyun and Desmond, chit chatting with Hui Ting, Chen Chen, Akash, Shawn, Mark,...Well, it's really fun as after two years in NUS, I eventually had the feeling like in the school years.

It would be a big mistake for us if we didn't talk about our dear teacher - Ms Lim. You are among the best, most caring and most thorough teachers I have ever known. I remember the way how you observe us discussing during class, how you comment on our work, how you help us point out the problem we face during the peer teaching or doing the proposal. You always come to class early, at around 7am when most of us are still in bed (at least me :")). The enthusiasm and passion you put in teaching us is obviously huge. When we come to class late, it's OK, you don't blame on us. When we are energy-less in the early morning, you let us play some games. There are many things about you that I cannot list out all here. Well, having such a teacher like you, every student would have motivation to do well for every homework, project and assignment.

I am very pleased to take this module. I wouldn't have done that unless Terence has posted on Applied Chemistry facebook page. Thanks to it, I make friends with such interesting people like you. Thanks to it, I learn a lot of surviving skills. I love all of my classmates and Ms Lim. Wish you revise hard and get the best results for your final exam.

P.S: will we have outing after final exam, people ^_^

2 comments:

  1. Hello kelvin!:)

    It was definitely an awesome and enriching experience for me over these 13weeks!:) Over time, I grew a sense of belonging and looked forward to going to our class too despite it being 8am in the morning. I was even more enthusiatic in class than in my core lectures (our chemistry hmmm mmm orbtials lectures haha)!

    I believe professional communications skills cannot be built overnight or over one semester as well. However, if we practice and put what we learnt over the past semester to use, we will gradually improve! :) This is what we have observed in ourselves over these 13weeks too yea? :)

    JIAYOU and ALL the BEST for exams too! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Post! Lot of information is helpful in some or the other way. CreativEdge Learning

    ReplyDelete